Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be a breakout year for hardwood lumber or softwood lumber demand. So what do the Ti Leaves say? The biggest leaf on the tree is housing starts and these are still and will will probably remain low for 2012. The annualized figure for June 2011 is 624,000 and 2012 we be maybe slightly higher. So what is a healthy housing start number for the lumber industry? Well, from 1995 through 2005 the average figure was about 1.66 million annual housing starts and to get back to semi-normal this figure should be a above 1 million. While hardwood lumber including red oak and white oak, maple, hickory and cherry are more resistant to fluctuations in housing starts than softwood lumber, new housing still stimulates demand for hardwoods via cabinets, flooring and other millwork products. The factors limiting housing starts continue to hinder the economy. These include a high unemployment, high foreclosures and low consumer confidence. According to RealtyTrac foreclosures were 222,747 for June 2011 and this number is still high. Unemployment is another thorn in the side of the housing market. Generally, it is good to have a job to buy a house and, even if a person has a job, the consumer needs the confidence that that job will last. Yesterday (8/9), a very wise man on economic matters, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, announced he would keep interest rates at the lowest possible level until mid-2013. In plain English the guy is saying he expects things to be bad for awhile. The decline in housing starts has led to a decline in lumber production. U.S. lumber production has declined from 51 billion board feet in 2005 to 29 billion board feet in 2010. The 2011 figure may should be similar to 2010. So where is the sunshine in this storm? As we have said before, it is in global markets. The value of lumber exports through May 2011 are up 30 percent over the same period of 2010. The leading export markets in order are China, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Vietnam. Mills and dealers that are exporting are thriving from a weak US Dollar, which makes U.S. lumber cheaper abroad. The sawmill and forest products industry is now in a totally different dimension than it was 10 years ago. Exporting should no longer be considered a choice, but an essential business strategy. If a mill or lumber related company does not want to export directly that is fine. But find a company to partner up with that has expertise in global markets. A good place to start is by joining the Softwood Export Council or the American Hardwood Export Council. These entities can help sawmills and lumber traders started with exporting. Remember, above every cloud is a sunny day.
Stick Trade Blog
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Sof...Posted August 10th, 2011
- Timber harvest on Idaho state lands hits record - KTVB July 28, 2014KTVBTimber harvest on Idaho state lands hits recordKTVBBOISE -- A massive timber salvage sale and logging companies opting to cash in on high prices resulted in a record 347 million board feet of timber harvested from state endowment lands last fiscal year. Idaho Department of Lands Director Tom Schultz ...Record number of timber harvested in IdahoKBOI-TVall
- Diablo Launches the Ultimate Flooring Saw Blade - DigitalJournal.com July 28, 2014Diablo Launches the Ultimate Flooring Saw BladeDigitalJournal.comFreud America, Inc., a premier manufacturer of superior cutting tools, is introducing the first saw blades specifically designed for cutting laminate flooring in a miter saw chop application; yet delivers fantastic results in a slide or table saw. The ...and more »
- Former Lumber Girls take trip down Memory Lane - Insurance News Net July 28, 2014Former Lumber Girls take trip down Memory LaneInsurance News NetORRVILLE -- The Wooster Lumber Girls were softball players ahead of their time, but their reunion was long overdue. West High Street in Orrville turned into Memory Lane as former Lumber Girls reunited in the Buehler's Community Room Saturday afternoon.
- Timber Rattlers shut down Fort Wayne - Appleton Post Crescent July 28, 2014Times BulletinTimber Rattlers shut down Fort WayneAppleton Post CrescentFORT WAYNE, Ind. – Chad Thompson and Taylor Williams combined on a six-hitter and struck out 14 as the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers beat the Fort Wayne TinCaps 5-2 in a Midwest League game Sunday. Thompson struck out six in five innings and earned ...TinCaps Bats Flat In Loss To Timber Ratt
- Photo gallery: The Wild Women Timber Challenge - Kansas City Star July 27, 2014Kansas City StarPhoto gallery: The Wild Women Timber ChallengeKansas City StarKelsey McConnell (right) of Kansas City, leads her team of ``Tough Broads'' in and then out of the foam pit while taking part in the The Wild Women Timber Challenge Sunday morning. The womens' only 5K event was held in Bonner Springs.
- Women survive KC Timber Challenge's obstacles - Kansas City Star July 27, 2014Kansas City StarWomen survive KC Timber Challenge's obstaclesKansas City StarIt was the second obstacle course run by the KC Timber Challenge operation and the first open only to women, event coordinator Jeff Nuss said. On Sunday morning, the event, which did not keep times, drew more than 600 women, 40 volunteers and 100 ...Hundreds of women in colorfu
- Fire damages Indiana County lumber yard - WTAE Pittsburgh July 27, 2014WTAE PittsburghFire damages Indiana County lumber yardWTAE Pittsburgh“Two of the worst fires you could have is a lumber yard or a furniture store,” said Ron Moreau of the Indiana Fire Association. “This one was no exception. It was very hot, very intense. The flames grew very fast.” The fire captain said the blaze ...Intense flames, smoke pour from Indiana C
- Morning briefing: Tammy Baldwin accuses Paul Ryan of blocking timber legislation - Madison.com July 27, 2014Morning briefing: Tammy Baldwin accuses Paul Ryan of blocking timber legislationMadison.comTammy Baldwin accuses Paul Ryan of blocking timber legislation: Nick Penzenstadler of the Appleton Post-Crescent writes: "Two of Wisconsin's most high-profile political figures are facing off in a conflict that is spilling into the public eye more than ...
- How do you get rid of urine odor in hardwood floors? - Boston Globe July 27, 2014How do you get rid of urine odor in hardwood floors?Boston GlobeIn anticipation of removing the rug this fall, I pulled up a corner to see what condition the hardwood floor was in. The floor seems to be in great shape except for this corner area. I believe our cat (which we no longer have) urinated there and ...
- Ron Wyden's O&C timber bill may start moving through Senate: Oregon ... - The Oregonian July 26, 2014Ron Wyden's O&C timber bill may start moving through Senate: Oregon ...The OregonianRon Wyden's bill aimed at boosting timber production in Western Oregon federal forests may finally start moving through the Senate next week. Observers connected with both timber and environmental groups say they hear the bill will be scheduled for a ...and more