Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be a breakout year for hardwood lumber or softwood lumber demand. So what do the Ti Leaves say? The biggest leaf on the tree is housing starts and these are still and will will probably remain low for 2012. The annualized figure for June 2011 is 624,000 and 2012 we be maybe slightly higher. So what is a healthy housing start number for the lumber industry? Well, from 1995 through 2005 the average figure was about 1.66 million annual housing starts and to get back to semi-normal this figure should be a above 1 million. While hardwood lumber including red oak and white oak, maple, hickory and cherry are more resistant to fluctuations in housing starts than softwood lumber, new housing still stimulates demand for hardwoods via cabinets, flooring and other millwork products. The factors limiting housing starts continue to hinder the economy. These include a high unemployment, high foreclosures and low consumer confidence. According to RealtyTrac foreclosures were 222,747 for June 2011 and this number is still high. Unemployment is another thorn in the side of the housing market. Generally, it is good to have a job to buy a house and, even if a person has a job, the consumer needs the confidence that that job will last. Yesterday (8/9), a very wise man on economic matters, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, announced he would keep interest rates at the lowest possible level until mid-2013. In plain English the guy is saying he expects things to be bad for awhile. The decline in housing starts has led to a decline in lumber production. U.S. lumber production has declined from 51 billion board feet in 2005 to 29 billion board feet in 2010. The 2011 figure may should be similar to 2010. So where is the sunshine in this storm? As we have said before, it is in global markets. The value of lumber exports through May 2011 are up 30 percent over the same period of 2010. The leading export markets in order are China, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Vietnam. Mills and dealers that are exporting are thriving from a weak US Dollar, which makes U.S. lumber cheaper abroad. The sawmill and forest products industry is now in a totally different dimension than it was 10 years ago. Exporting should no longer be considered a choice, but an essential business strategy. If a mill or lumber related company does not want to export directly that is fine. But find a company to partner up with that has expertise in global markets. A good place to start is by joining the Softwood Export Council or the American Hardwood Export Council. These entities can help sawmills and lumber traders started with exporting. Remember, above every cloud is a sunny day.
Stick Trade Blog
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Sof...Posted August 10th, 2011
- Richardson park expansion to protect historical site, hardwood forest - Dallas Morning News October 26, 2014Dallas Morning NewsRichardson park expansion to protect historical site, hardwood forestDallas Morning NewsThat's because the property contains “one of the last stands of hardwood forests in the metroplex,” said Taylor, whose organization works with landowners to preserve open space. It's also the site where Jacob Routh, one of the Peters Colony se
- Brian Thompson: DIY guide to hardwood floors - St. Augustine Record October 26, 2014Brian Thompson: DIY guide to hardwood floorsSt. Augustine RecordI'm a guy who fancies himself a real do-it-yourselfer. Just enough knowledge to take on large household construction projects, yet not enough to do them competently. This past weekend I laid down more than 400 square feet of new hardwood flooring in my ...
- 2014 Timber Tour: Predictability a constant struggle - Daily Inter Lake October 26, 20142014 Timber Tour: Predictability a constant struggleDaily Inter LakeParticipants on the Timber Tour sponsored by the Kalispell Chamber of Commerce group ranged from retirees to legislators. They viewed two active forest management projects and visited Wild Montana Wood to discuss forest products and niche markets.
- /Hardwood Floors Made Easy - Sioux City Journal October 25, 2014/Hardwood Floors Made EasySioux City JournalIn addition to new finishes and species, the engineered products in Mohawk's wood introduction also feature a new glueless installation system based on Unilin's UniClic® technology, recognized as the installer's favorite click system for laminate. And ...
- Chatting Around The Campfire Bill White's Alaskan Timber Cutting Venture: The ... - Forks Forum October 24, 2014Chatting Around The Campfire Bill White's Alaskan Timber Cutting Venture: The ...Forks ForumSoon after this fellow timber cutter had proudly showed his tally to Bill, it goes without saying that he was very astonished to see Bill's total cut. At this point, he had no recourse but to lay his earnings onto Bill's eager hand. Only a wood's s
- LeBron's Cavs help bring focus back to the hardwood - Rockdale Citizen October 24, 2014Rockdale CitizenLeBron's Cavs help bring focus back to the hardwoodRockdale CitizenHowever, with Donald Sterling having sold the Los Angeles Clippers and Bruce Levenson disposing of his share of the Atlanta Hawks, both over racist comments, the focus can now finally return to the hardwood. Thankfully for the NBA, there is no shortage ...and more »
- One Reason Lumber Liquidators (LL) Stock Closed Down Today - TheStreet.com October 23, 2014PR Newswire (press release)One Reason Lumber Liquidators (LL) Stock Closed Down TodayTheStreet.com"We rate LUMBER LIQUIDATORS HLDGS INC (LL) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover.Lumber Liqu
- How a Company Known for Retail Ads Suddenly Made a Gorgeous Spot for ... - Adweek October 23, 2014AdweekHow a Company Known for Retail Ads Suddenly Made a Gorgeous Spot for ...AdweekIDEA: Lumber Liquidators isn't exactly known for beautiful, romantic advertising. The hardwood flooring specialty retailer is much more versed in transactional, price-focused messaging. (Just look at the website, which is a smorgasbord of sale pricing.).
- Vintage Venues: Lumber store a former feed mill - Wisconsin Rapids Tribune October 22, 2014Wisconsin Rapids TribuneVintage Venues: Lumber store a former feed millWisconsin Rapids TribuneRounds Metcalf grew up in the lumber business in his home town of Amherst, following in the steps of his grandfather. In 1949, he decided it was time to bring the business to Wisconsin Rapids and found a place near the Wood County courthouse. When Red ...
- Lumber Liquidators' Numbers Dive Toward the Floor - DailyFinance October 22, 2014DailyFinanceLumber Liquidators' Numbers Dive Toward the FloorDailyFinanceNet sales may have moved nearly 5 percent higher to $266.1 million for the period ahead of the fall flooring season, but that was entirely the handiwork of stores that have opened over the past year. Things went the other way at the individual store ...and more »