Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be a breakout year for hardwood lumber or softwood lumber demand. So what do the Ti Leaves say? The biggest leaf on the tree is housing starts and these are still and will will probably remain low for 2012. The annualized figure for June 2011 is 624,000 and 2012 we be maybe slightly higher. So what is a healthy housing start number for the lumber industry? Well, from 1995 through 2005 the average figure was about 1.66 million annual housing starts and to get back to semi-normal this figure should be a above 1 million. While hardwood lumber including red oak and white oak, maple, hickory and cherry are more resistant to fluctuations in housing starts than softwood lumber, new housing still stimulates demand for hardwoods via cabinets, flooring and other millwork products. The factors limiting housing starts continue to hinder the economy. These include a high unemployment, high foreclosures and low consumer confidence. According to RealtyTrac foreclosures were 222,747 for June 2011 and this number is still high. Unemployment is another thorn in the side of the housing market. Generally, it is good to have a job to buy a house and, even if a person has a job, the consumer needs the confidence that that job will last. Yesterday (8/9), a very wise man on economic matters, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, announced he would keep interest rates at the lowest possible level until mid-2013. In plain English the guy is saying he expects things to be bad for awhile. The decline in housing starts has led to a decline in lumber production. U.S. lumber production has declined from 51 billion board feet in 2005 to 29 billion board feet in 2010. The 2011 figure may should be similar to 2010. So where is the sunshine in this storm? As we have said before, it is in global markets. The value of lumber exports through May 2011 are up 30 percent over the same period of 2010. The leading export markets in order are China, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Vietnam. Mills and dealers that are exporting are thriving from a weak US Dollar, which makes U.S. lumber cheaper abroad. The sawmill and forest products industry is now in a totally different dimension than it was 10 years ago. Exporting should no longer be considered a choice, but an essential business strategy. If a mill or lumber related company does not want to export directly that is fine. But find a company to partner up with that has expertise in global markets. A good place to start is by joining the Softwood Export Council or the American Hardwood Export Council. These entities can help sawmills and lumber traders started with exporting. Remember, above every cloud is a sunny day.
Stick Trade Blog
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Sof...Posted August 10th, 2011
Lumber Prices & Starts
27 May 2013
Lumber prices remain low. Lumber supply is coming online from mills and the CME July futures are showing at $282.20 per thousand (as of June 18, 2013). The hardwood softwood market for 2013 is almost at the half way point. So why are prices still low? Housing starts are inching up and approaching the magic [...]
Hardwood Lumber & Softwood Lumber
19 Sep 2012
Lumber: Hardwood lumber and softwood wholesale lumber supply appear to be firming up. Lumber prices as listed by the CME futures are close to $273 for November. Housing start numbers for August were a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 750,000 units, which was about 29% above the July 2011 rate of 581,000. The demand for [...]
21 May 2012
Lumber prices are slightly up. Sawmills with timber supply of species such as SY pine lumber, hemlock, and Douglas fir may find that markets are improving. Hardwoods and reclaimed lumber also appear firm as the suppliers search to fill green building demand. On May 21, 2012, lumber price futures for July were listed at $287.90, [...]
23 Dec 2011
Lumber prices for Hardwood lumber and softwood lumber continue to fluctuate. Wholesale hardwood lumber suppliers for red oak, white oak, walnut, cypress, cherry, maple and others still face uncertainty. Lumber price futures are up as the housing market continues to improve. As of 12/23/11, they were at 243.50, which was an improvement of 2.5 points [...]
Wholesale hardwood lumber price and log price to China
9 Sep 2011
Hardwood lumber prices and log prices including oak, cherry, walnut, and maple are tied to the global markets. Sawmills and other suppliers of wholesale lumber of hardwood and softwood have been wondering where are lumber & log prices going? Timber traders and sawmills now find China as a major market. During the first half of [...]
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Softwoods Approaching 2012
10 Aug 2011
Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be [...]
Wholesale Lumber Prices Stagnant Exports up
1 Jul 2011
Lumber prices are stagnant, while exports continue to be strong. As of the first part of 2011 through April, U.S. lumber exports are up 44% and expected to surpass a total value of $3 billion for the year. China continues to roar and 2011 lumber exports to China will be about double what they were [...]
Lumber Prices Down and Lumber and Log Exports Up
2 Jun 2011
Lumber prices and volumes are still down int the U.S. While many experts (including me) expected a 2011 recovery, April housing starts cam in at 523,000, which is 24% below the April 2010 SAR figure. Furthermore, looking at lumber price futures today, July prices are down about 5 %. In this environment, the good news [...]
Hardwood Lumber & Softwood Wholesale Lumber Price Trends & News
15 Apr 2011
Wholesale lumber prices are still soft and with that, firms are struggling. Universal Forest Products announced a first quarter loss and cited ‘continued challenging economic conditions’. CME lumber prices as of today 4/15 are at US$149.90 for May.There was hope that the traditional spring demand for housing starts would increase demand for lumber inventory. February [...]
Lumber Price and Timber Supply 2011
9 Dec 2010
So the lumber industry is thenew year. Lumber supply is primarily driven by housing starts. According to NAHB, residential housing starts in 2011 will be 655,000 in 2011, which is 40 percent increase from 2009. Residential starts are projected to rise to 970,000 in 2012 and this will increase demand from stand timber supply to [...]
- Hardwood Club highlights: Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim 'happy ... - The Post-Standard March 11, 2014Hardwood Club highlights: Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim 'happy ...The Post-StandardThe Syracuse head coach left no doubt about that at the 43rd annual Hardwood Club Dinner on Monday night. Boeheim was at his most Boeheim-ian, showcasing one of his wittiest, most sarcastic and most reflective moods of the season in front of ...
- Timber Cabals Seize GhÂ¢10 Million From State - Ghanaian Chronicle March 11, 2014Timber Cabals Seize GhÂ¢10 Million From StateGhanaian ChronicleAt the time the tax policies of the government have been reviewed, leading to increase in import and export duties, among a host of others, stumpage fees paid by timber contractors for each tree they harvest in our dwindling forest have remained same ...
- Williamsburg County tops timber damage costs - Kingstree News March 11, 2014Williamsburg County tops timber damage costsKingstree NewsA Forest Disaster Declaration issued by State Forester Henry E. Kodama shows Williamsburg County ranks the highest in value of timber damage. The South Carolina Forestry Commission survey of 24 counties show a 170-mile-long, 70-mile-wide band of ...and more »
- Courier News College Corner: Plainfield products thriving on hardwood - MyCentralJersey.com March 11, 2014Courier News College Corner: Plainfield products thriving on hardwoodMyCentralJersey.comNiagara women's senior Chanel Johnson was named Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Player of the Week after averaging 21 points and shooting 60 percent from the field over two games. She posted 19 points and eight boards, shooting 7 of 12, in a win ...and more »
- Flooring retailer Kiser's lays groundwork for Collierville store - Memphis Business Journal March 10, 2014Flooring retailer Kiser's lays groundwork for Collierville storeMemphis Business JournalKiser's Floor Fashions is opening up its newest flooring store in Collierville next week. Ryan Poe: Staff writer- Memphis Business Journal: Email | Twitter. Flooring retailer Kiser's Floor Fashions will open its third Memphis-area location next week in ...a […]
- Environmental group opposes timber sale - Capital Press March 10, 2014Environmental group opposes timber saleCapital PressBark, an environmental group, asked a federal judge in Portland on March 7 to overturn the U.S. Forest Service's approval of the Jazz timber sale. “This land is inherently unstable,” said Brenna Bell, attorney for Bark, during the oral argument. The ...
- Firefighters fought Binghamton lumber yard blaze from multiple sides - Press & Sun-Bulletin March 10, 2014WBNG-TVFirefighters fought Binghamton lumber yard blaze from multiple sidesPress & Sun-BulletinBINGHAMTON — City firefighters responded Monday to a structure fire at a closed lumber yard at Brown Street and Glenwood Avenue, marking at least the third fire there in two years. Binghamton Fire Chief Daniel Thomas said firefighters responded to 2 ...Binghamt […]
- Firefighters battle Timber Skan apartments fire - WESH Orlando March 10, 2014WESH OrlandoFirefighters battle Timber Skan apartments fireWESH OrlandoTweet · NEXT STORY. George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show. Text Size: ASmall Text; AMedium Text; ALarge Text. View Large. Photos. Smoke poured out of the Timber Skan apartment complex near the Citrus Bowl on Monday afternoon.
- Wood Production, Strong in February, Saw Lumber and Hiring Rise - woodworkingnetwork.com March 10, 2014Wood Production, Strong in February, Saw Lumber and Hiring Risewoodworkingnetwork.com... 2 for growth of 18 sectors tracked by supply managers. These sectors include wood industry segments such as custom cabinetmaking, remodeling, and architectural woodworking, as well as furniture, flooring, millwork and production cabinetry manufacture.and more »
- Camp Timber Ridge in Radford to host 4 summer sessions - Roanoke Times March 10, 2014Camp Timber Ridge in Radford to host 4 summer sessionsRoanoke TimesCamp Timber Ridge, a nonprofit day camp in Radford for kids ages 6 to 16, heads into its 16th year with four camp sessions scheduled for this summer. The camp, which runs from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., is designed to encourage curiosity and provide experiences ...