Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be a breakout year for hardwood lumber or softwood lumber demand. So what do the Ti Leaves say? The biggest leaf on the tree is housing starts and these are still and will will probably remain low for 2012. The annualized figure for June 2011 is 624,000 and 2012 we be maybe slightly higher. So what is a healthy housing start number for the lumber industry? Well, from 1995 through 2005 the average figure was about 1.66 million annual housing starts and to get back to semi-normal this figure should be a above 1 million. While hardwood lumber including red oak and white oak, maple, hickory and cherry are more resistant to fluctuations in housing starts than softwood lumber, new housing still stimulates demand for hardwoods via cabinets, flooring and other millwork products. The factors limiting housing starts continue to hinder the economy. These include a high unemployment, high foreclosures and low consumer confidence. According to RealtyTrac foreclosures were 222,747 for June 2011 and this number is still high. Unemployment is another thorn in the side of the housing market. Generally, it is good to have a job to buy a house and, even if a person has a job, the consumer needs the confidence that that job will last. Yesterday (8/9), a very wise man on economic matters, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, announced he would keep interest rates at the lowest possible level until mid-2013. In plain English the guy is saying he expects things to be bad for awhile. The decline in housing starts has led to a decline in lumber production. U.S. lumber production has declined from 51 billion board feet in 2005 to 29 billion board feet in 2010. The 2011 figure may should be similar to 2010. So where is the sunshine in this storm? As we have said before, it is in global markets. The value of lumber exports through May 2011 are up 30 percent over the same period of 2010. The leading export markets in order are China, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Vietnam. Mills and dealers that are exporting are thriving from a weak US Dollar, which makes U.S. lumber cheaper abroad. The sawmill and forest products industry is now in a totally different dimension than it was 10 years ago. Exporting should no longer be considered a choice, but an essential business strategy. If a mill or lumber related company does not want to export directly that is fine. But find a company to partner up with that has expertise in global markets. A good place to start is by joining the Softwood Export Council or the American Hardwood Export Council. These entities can help sawmills and lumber traders started with exporting. Remember, above every cloud is a sunny day.
Stick Trade Blog
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Sof...Posted August 10th, 2011
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers lose to Peoria - Appleton Post Crescent April 19, 2015Appleton Post CrescentWisconsin Timber Rattlers lose to PeoriaAppleton Post CrescentPEORIA – The Peoria Chiefs teed off early on Timber Rattlers starting pitcher Milton Gomez, scoring two runs in the first inning and nine runs total in the brief time he was in the game, en route to a 15-4 pounding of Wisconsin on Saturday in Midwest ...Chiefs score 12 in fir
- Timber companies exporting logs affects Oregon jobs - Statesman Journal April 19, 2015Timber companies exporting logs affects Oregon jobsStatesman JournalAs I read about spotted owls, barred owls, limits on logging public land, etc., I have not seen discussion about the exportation of raw logs by private timber companies. As I understand the situation, private timber companies can legally export logs ...
- 84 Lumber names management trainees - The Newark Advocate April 18, 201584 Lumber names management traineesThe Newark AdvocatePATASKALA – The 84 Lumber Company store in Pataskala announced Samuel Hancock has been hired as a manager trainee. Hancock is a native of Monroeville, Ohio, and a graduate of Monroeville High School. The store is located at 11745 E. Broad St.
- SWCD to host Timber Harvesting Program - Portsmouth Daily Times April 18, 2015SWCD to host Timber Harvesting ProgramPortsmouth Daily TimesLUCASVILLE — The Scioto and Pike Soil and Water Conservation Districts will host a Timber Harvesting Program on Thursday, April 30 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the USDA Service Center, 12167A State Route 104 in Lucasville. The program is being offered at no ...
- Siwek Lumber diversifies family business - SW News Media April 18, 2015SW News MediaSiwek Lumber diversifies family businessSW News MediaLumber yard. Logs come into Siwek Lumber from Scott County and a 100-mile radius. “We are the only large production saw mill in the seven county area,” said Dave Siwek,. Buy this photo · Mighty Superman saw. PHOTO BY KARA HILDRETH ...
- Lawmakers look to block LePage's plan to increase timber take - Press Herald April 18, 2015Lawmakers look to block LePage's plan to increase timber takePress HeraldLawmakers are seeking to block the LePage administration's plans to increase timber harvesting on state-owned lands and are proposing to arm forest rangers with Tasers rather than create a new type of natural resources law enforcement officer. Members ...and more »
- A Challenge to Lumber Liquidators' Tests - New York Times April 17, 2015New York TimesA Challenge to Lumber Liquidators' TestsNew York TimesA few consumers have filed a lawsuit against Lumber Liquidators, accusing the company of hiring unaccredited laboratories to prove to customers that its flooring is safe and not contaminated with formaldehyde. The lawsuit, filed Thursday in California ...Robertson & Associates, LLP,
- Lumber Liquidators Update From China And The Margin Story (LL) - Seeking Alpha April 17, 2015Lumber Liquidators Update From China And The Margin Story (LL)Seeking AlphaLaminate (indeed, all lines of flooring) production for LL has come to a complete halt in China. The reason for this is twofold. 1) LL is seeking to renegotiate some of the payables outstanding to the mills. That balance is approximately $5 million to ...and more »
- Why Carl Icahn Could Learn To Love Lumber Liquidators, Whiting Petroleum ... - Forbes April 16, 2015ForbesWhy Carl Icahn Could Learn To Love Lumber Liquidators, Whiting Petroleum ...ForbesLumber Liquidators' share price was more than halved in February following an expose piece on 60-Minutes. The accusations were also levied by a short-seller Whitney Tilson. When a great growth stock that was unfairly punished by short sellers, and is ...and more »
- Timber family buys 30000 acres of forest near Gualala - Santa Rosa Press Democrat April 16, 2015Santa Rosa Press DemocratTimber family buys 30000 acres of forest near GualalaSanta Rosa Press DemocratBurch, who has long had timber holdings in Sonoma and Mendocino counties as well as the Bay Area, said he intends to continue what he called GRI's intelligent management of the site. “We think that property has been managed as well as any property in .