Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be a breakout year for hardwood lumber or softwood lumber demand. So what do the Ti Leaves say? The biggest leaf on the tree is housing starts and these are still and will will probably remain low for 2012. The annualized figure for June 2011 is 624,000 and 2012 we be maybe slightly higher. So what is a healthy housing start number for the lumber industry? Well, from 1995 through 2005 the average figure was about 1.66 million annual housing starts and to get back to semi-normal this figure should be a above 1 million. While hardwood lumber including red oak and white oak, maple, hickory and cherry are more resistant to fluctuations in housing starts than softwood lumber, new housing still stimulates demand for hardwoods via cabinets, flooring and other millwork products. The factors limiting housing starts continue to hinder the economy. These include a high unemployment, high foreclosures and low consumer confidence. According to RealtyTrac foreclosures were 222,747 for June 2011 and this number is still high. Unemployment is another thorn in the side of the housing market. Generally, it is good to have a job to buy a house and, even if a person has a job, the consumer needs the confidence that that job will last. Yesterday (8/9), a very wise man on economic matters, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, announced he would keep interest rates at the lowest possible level until mid-2013. In plain English the guy is saying he expects things to be bad for awhile. The decline in housing starts has led to a decline in lumber production. U.S. lumber production has declined from 51 billion board feet in 2005 to 29 billion board feet in 2010. The 2011 figure may should be similar to 2010. So where is the sunshine in this storm? As we have said before, it is in global markets. The value of lumber exports through May 2011 are up 30 percent over the same period of 2010. The leading export markets in order are China, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Vietnam. Mills and dealers that are exporting are thriving from a weak US Dollar, which makes U.S. lumber cheaper abroad. The sawmill and forest products industry is now in a totally different dimension than it was 10 years ago. Exporting should no longer be considered a choice, but an essential business strategy. If a mill or lumber related company does not want to export directly that is fine. But find a company to partner up with that has expertise in global markets. A good place to start is by joining the Softwood Export Council or the American Hardwood Export Council. These entities can help sawmills and lumber traders started with exporting. Remember, above every cloud is a sunny day.
Stick Trade Blog
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Sof...Posted August 10th, 2011
- Feds distribute $20 million to Oregon timber counties - kgw.com May 29, 2015Feds distribute $20 million to Oregon timber countieskgw.com(AP) - Checks totaling $20 million are being sent to 18 timber counties in western Oregon under terms of a federal subsidy renewed by Congress. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management announced Thursday that the money is being distributed to the so-called ...and more »
- Scott reacts to Lumber Liquidators investigation - ABC Action News May 28, 2015ABC Action NewsScott reacts to Lumber Liquidators investigationABC Action NewsLumber Liquidators is facing several class action lawsuits and is now part of a federal criminal investigation. Gov. Rick Scott tells the ABC Action News I-Team “when something like this happens everybody needs to get involved.” Dozens of our viewers ...and more »
- Girls lacrosse Player of Year: Ellie Yenor, Timber Creek - Orlando Sentinel May 28, 2015Orlando SentinelGirls lacrosse Player of Year: Ellie Yenor, Timber CreekOrlando SentinelShe caught onto her thing quickly and became the leading scorer at Timber Creek her freshman year. As a sophomore, she led the area in goals (121) and assists (36), helping the Wolves to a state semifinal and becoming the school's career leading scorer.and more »
- Students ordered out of apartments near UNCC because of floors - WCNC May 28, 2015WCNCStudents ordered out of apartments near UNCC because of floorsWCNCStudents scrambling to find a new home in a week WCNC. Rad Berky, WCNC 8:50 a.m. EDT May 28, 2015. 635683439284541477-CGCl-tHXIAE-HiR. Concern about flooring trusses. Students ordered to move out of apartments near UNCC. (Photo: WCNC).
- Flooring company moves from Perrysburg to Toledo's Warehouse District - Toledo News Now May 28, 2015Flooring company moves from Perrysburg to Toledo's Warehouse DistrictToledo News NowEstablished in 2010, Commercial Flooring of Toledo assists clients with all phases of flooring projects from planning and scheduling, to product selection, budgeting, value engineering and creative problem solving. In May of 2014, the owners of the ...and more »
- Wood Laminate Flooring Design “Not a Slavish Copy of Nature” - The National Law Review May 28, 2015Wood Laminate Flooring Design “Not a Slavish Copy of Nature”The National Law ReviewMannington Mills and Home Legend are competitors in the laminate flooring market. Mannington created the design at issue by envisioning what a wood floor might look like after decades of age and wear. The design process began with building prototype ...
- LePage aide makes case for timber harvest to heat homes - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel May 28, 2015Kennebec Journal & Morning SentinelLePage aide makes case for timber harvest to heat homesKennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel“We think diverting the funds is inappropriate and poor public policy,” said Kaitlyn Bernard, of the Appalachian Mountain Club, which manages some of its 70,000 acres in Maine for timber. “We support finding funding to help low-income Mainers […]
- Videos show helicopter repeatedly drop eye-destroying chemicals onto timber ... - Raw Story May 28, 2015Raw StoryVideos show helicopter repeatedly drop eye-destroying chemicals onto timber ...Raw StoryA whistleblower recorded hundreds of videos showing helicopters spraying toxic weed killers onto Oregon timber workers below. After answering a Craigslist job posting, Daryl Ivy spent 17 days this spring working as a truck driver for Applebee Aviation ...
- Hillsborough County Fire Rescue extinguishes fire before it reaches lumber yard - ABC Action News May 28, 2015ABC Action NewsHillsborough County Fire Rescue extinguishes fire before it reaches lumber yardABC Action NewsTAMPA - Fire crews located and extinguished a fire at an office Thursday morning before it spread to an adjacent lumber yard. Staffers at Robbins Manufacturing at 13001 N Nebraska Ave. smelled smoke in the conference room when they came into […]
- Lumber Liquidators: The FEMA Trailer Formaldehyde Lawsuit Comparison (LL) - Seeking Alpha May 28, 2015BenzingaLumber Liquidators: The FEMA Trailer Formaldehyde Lawsuit Comparison (LL)Seeking AlphaOne of the items of uncertainty around Lumber Liquidators (NYSE:LL) is the potential cost of the class-action lawsuits. Though it is difficult to ascertain how much the lawsuits may cost Lumber Liquidators, we can look at the FEMA trailer formaldehyde ...Whitney Tilson: 9 Reasons Lumber Liquidators Is […]