Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be a breakout year for hardwood lumber or softwood lumber demand. So what do the Ti Leaves say? The biggest leaf on the tree is housing starts and these are still and will will probably remain low for 2012. The annualized figure for June 2011 is 624,000 and 2012 we be maybe slightly higher. So what is a healthy housing start number for the lumber industry? Well, from 1995 through 2005 the average figure was about 1.66 million annual housing starts and to get back to semi-normal this figure should be a above 1 million. While hardwood lumber including red oak and white oak, maple, hickory and cherry are more resistant to fluctuations in housing starts than softwood lumber, new housing still stimulates demand for hardwoods via cabinets, flooring and other millwork products. The factors limiting housing starts continue to hinder the economy. These include a high unemployment, high foreclosures and low consumer confidence. According to RealtyTrac foreclosures were 222,747 for June 2011 and this number is still high. Unemployment is another thorn in the side of the housing market. Generally, it is good to have a job to buy a house and, even if a person has a job, the consumer needs the confidence that that job will last. Yesterday (8/9), a very wise man on economic matters, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, announced he would keep interest rates at the lowest possible level until mid-2013. In plain English the guy is saying he expects things to be bad for awhile. The decline in housing starts has led to a decline in lumber production. U.S. lumber production has declined from 51 billion board feet in 2005 to 29 billion board feet in 2010. The 2011 figure may should be similar to 2010. So where is the sunshine in this storm? As we have said before, it is in global markets. The value of lumber exports through May 2011 are up 30 percent over the same period of 2010. The leading export markets in order are China, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Vietnam. Mills and dealers that are exporting are thriving from a weak US Dollar, which makes U.S. lumber cheaper abroad. The sawmill and forest products industry is now in a totally different dimension than it was 10 years ago. Exporting should no longer be considered a choice, but an essential business strategy. If a mill or lumber related company does not want to export directly that is fine. But find a company to partner up with that has expertise in global markets. A good place to start is by joining the Softwood Export Council or the American Hardwood Export Council. These entities can help sawmills and lumber traders started with exporting. Remember, above every cloud is a sunny day.
Stick Trade Blog
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Sof...Posted August 10th, 2011
- Hasty: Lumber Bridge elementary students have their sights set on a Guiness ... - Fayetteville Observer November 23, 2014Fayetteville ObserverHasty: Lumber Bridge elementary students have their sights set on a Guiness ...Fayetteville ObserverJill Ammons-Rogitz's physical education students at Sandy Grove Elementary School in Lumber Bridge participated in the World's Largest Sport Stacking Event. Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:00 am. Hasty: Lumber Bridge element
- Mountaire Farms in Lumber Bridge gives away food for thousands for ... - Fayetteville Observer November 23, 2014Fayetteville ObserverMountaire Farms in Lumber Bridge gives away food for thousands for ...Fayetteville ObserverBurden, who runs the Colors of Life social organization in Lumberton, was at the Mountaire Farms chicken processing plant in Lumber Bridge on Saturday morning to pick up 150 boxes of food. The boxes were among 3,500 that more than 100 workers from
- Former Mead Lumber building being transformed into Xylemer BioProducts ... - Kearney Hub November 22, 2014Kearney HubFormer Mead Lumber building being transformed into Xylemer BioProducts ...Kearney HubKEARNEY — An east Kearney manufacturing plant that will use high-pressure steam as a key method to process dry distillers grain into a filler for the plastics industry is expected to be operational by late March. The former Mead Lumber building on ...and more »
- Several crews battle overnight New Waverly lumber yard firea - KTRK-TV November 22, 2014KTRK-TVSeveral crews battle overnight New Waverly lumber yard fireaKTRK-TVSeveral crews from a three different fire departments battled a fire at a New Waverly lumber yard overnight. It happened at the Universal Forest Products plant on FM 2793 near State Highway 75. Investigators say a lumber kiln on the property was on fire.
- Timber Creek football advances to South Jersey, Group 4 final with game ... - NJ.com November 22, 2014Timber Creek football advances to South Jersey, Group 4 final with game ...NJ.comTimber Creek took a 12-0 lead into halftime. Kingsway had been playing the Chargers tight, until the final play of the half, when Timber Creek quarterback Khalil Trotman threw up a Hail Mary that bounced around between four players and wound up in the ...
- Under fire: Stimson Lumber Company to consider 'new tools' to dispose of slash - Daily Astorian November 22, 2014Under fire: Stimson Lumber Company to consider 'new tools' to dispose of slashDaily AstorianAs of Monday, the fire had been about 95 percent contained, according to Incident Commander Neal Bond. By then, approximately 100 acres of Stimson Lumber Company's property, east of U.S. Highway 101 between mileposts 34 and 35, had been scorched ...
- Augusta lumber mill getting $25 million upgrade - The Augusta Chronicle November 21, 2014Augusta lumber mill getting $25 million upgradeThe Augusta ChronicleA $25 million commercial building permit filed this month by Canadian firm West Fraser Timber Co. has paved the way for two replacement dry kilns at its south Augusta mill on Mike Padgett Highway. “These kilns use roughly 30 percent less energy to dry ...
- Fire destroys lumber yard in Madison - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel November 21, 2014Kennebec Journal & Morning SentinelFire destroys lumber yard in MadisonKennebec Journal & Morning SentinelA fire burns on Thursday night at the lumber yard at Campbell's True Value Building Supply in Madison. The fire, which drew response from five area fire departments, is believed to have been started on a flatbed truck stored in the warehouse
- Football Playoffs: South Jersey, Group 4 semifinals preview- Kingsway vs ... - NJ.com November 20, 2014NJ.comFootball Playoffs: South Jersey, Group 4 semifinals preview- Kingsway vs ...NJ.comTheir last loss came back on Oct. 10 against Timber Creek. The Chargers won 47-29 that night; they also earned a 57-27 victory over the Dragons two years ago in the Group 4 final, and beat Kingsway in last year's Group 4 semifinals, 47-13. “This is the ...and more »
- Shoppers increasingly buying hardwood floors, appliances online - MarketWatch November 18, 2014MarketWatchShoppers increasingly buying hardwood floors, appliances onlineMarketWatchNEW YORK (MarketWatch) — Consumers have been buying books, toys and apparel online for years, but they are also increasingly at ease ordering their washers, refrigerators and even hardwood flooring over the Internet. At Home Depot Inc. HD, +0.73% ...and more »