Future lumber prices for Jan 2012 were down 4% today (CME 8/10/11) and listed at $245.90. In looking the lumber news from 2010 & many experts were predicting 2012 to be the breakout year for lumber supply and demand. So what will 2012 bring? The data now appears to say that 2012 will not be a breakout year for hardwood lumber or softwood lumber demand. So what do the Ti Leaves say? The biggest leaf on the tree is housing starts and these are still and will will probably remain low for 2012. The annualized figure for June 2011 is 624,000 and 2012 we be maybe slightly higher. So what is a healthy housing start number for the lumber industry? Well, from 1995 through 2005 the average figure was about 1.66 million annual housing starts and to get back to semi-normal this figure should be a above 1 million. While hardwood lumber including red oak and white oak, maple, hickory and cherry are more resistant to fluctuations in housing starts than softwood lumber, new housing still stimulates demand for hardwoods via cabinets, flooring and other millwork products. The factors limiting housing starts continue to hinder the economy. These include a high unemployment, high foreclosures and low consumer confidence. According to RealtyTrac foreclosures were 222,747 for June 2011 and this number is still high. Unemployment is another thorn in the side of the housing market. Generally, it is good to have a job to buy a house and, even if a person has a job, the consumer needs the confidence that that job will last. Yesterday (8/9), a very wise man on economic matters, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, announced he would keep interest rates at the lowest possible level until mid-2013. In plain English the guy is saying he expects things to be bad for awhile. The decline in housing starts has led to a decline in lumber production. U.S. lumber production has declined from 51 billion board feet in 2005 to 29 billion board feet in 2010. The 2011 figure may should be similar to 2010. So where is the sunshine in this storm? As we have said before, it is in global markets. The value of lumber exports through May 2011 are up 30 percent over the same period of 2010. The leading export markets in order are China, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Vietnam. Mills and dealers that are exporting are thriving from a weak US Dollar, which makes U.S. lumber cheaper abroad. The sawmill and forest products industry is now in a totally different dimension than it was 10 years ago. Exporting should no longer be considered a choice, but an essential business strategy. If a mill or lumber related company does not want to export directly that is fine. But find a company to partner up with that has expertise in global markets. A good place to start is by joining the Softwood Export Council or the American Hardwood Export Council. These entities can help sawmills and lumber traders started with exporting. Remember, above every cloud is a sunny day.
Stick Trade Blog
Lumber Prices for Hardwoods and Sof...Posted August 10th, 2011
- Timber Rattlers fall in ninth - Appleton Post Crescent July 2, 2015WTAQTimber Rattlers fall in ninthAppleton Post CrescentGRAND CHUTE – The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers rallied with two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to tie their game with the Cedar Rapids Kernels at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium on Wednesday night. But Rafael Valera hit a two-out ...Timber Rattlers Drop Another One To […]
- Decked timber available near Lander - Casper Star-Tribune Online July 2, 2015Decked timber available near LanderCasper Star-Tribune OnlineFirewood permit holders can collect a small amount of decked timber along Louis Lake Road on the Washakie Ranger District of the Shoshone National Forest. The decked timber is on the east side of the road between the entrance to Frye Lake and the ...
- Brazilian police and scientists team up to crack down on illegal timber trade - Mongabay.com July 1, 2015Mongabay.comBrazilian police and scientists team up to crack down on illegal timber tradeMongabay.comSeven years ago, Brazil's São Paulo State Environmental Police set out to crack down on the illegal timber trade. In 2011, during one of their most ambitious inspection operations, officers inspected nearly 350 trucks and more than 60 lumberyards in ...
- Major regional timber company now requires permit on popular logging roads - BikePortland.org July 1, 2015BikePortland.orgMajor regional timber company now requires permit on popular logging roadsBikePortland.orgAs of today (July 1st), timber company Weyerhauser Columbia Timberlands has started a new program that requires all users of their tree farms and other land in Columbia and Washington counties to have an official permit. This new “recreational access ...
- Group Delivers Final Report on Plans for Crozet's Barnes Lumber Site - NBC 29 News July 1, 2015NBC 29 NewsGroup Delivers Final Report on Plans for Crozet's Barnes Lumber SiteNBC 29 NewsThe Crozet community's vision for an abandoned lumber yard is now in the hands of a developer. A design group delivered its final report on what people who live in the Albemarle County town would like to see happen at the […]
- Whitney Tilson On Lumber Liquidators; Berkshire; Tech Visionaries - ValueWalk July 1, 2015ValueWalkWhitney Tilson On Lumber Liquidators; Berkshire; Tech VisionariesValueWalkWhitney Tilson talks about the 6th annual Take 'Em to School Poker Tournament, shorting Lumber Liquidators Holdings Inc (NYSE:LL), tech visionaries, Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.A) (NYSE:BRK.B) trading cheap and cybercrime.Lumber Liquidators Holdings, Inc (NYSE:LL) Analyst Rating UpdateMoney Flow IndexLumber Liquidators Holdings Inc (NYSE:LL) Ratings UpdateInvestor NewswireShares of Lumber […]
- I-5 reopens after semi truck crash dumps lumber, fuel - KOMO News July 1, 2015KOMO NewsI-5 reopens after semi truck crash dumps lumber, fuelKOMO NewsFEDERAL WAY, Wash. - Northbound Interstate 5 has reopened after a collision between two semi trucks dumped lumber and fuel on the roadway, the Washington State Patrol reports. State troopers and transportation crews responded to the scene, just south ...Semi-truck spills lumber over I-5 near Federal […]
- Interior Specialists, Inc. Acquires Advanced Flooring & Design - PR Newswire (press release) June 30, 2015Interior Specialists, Inc. Acquires Advanced Flooring & DesignPR Newswire (press release)Advanced Flooring & Design (AFD) serves the residential and commercial building industry offering product and installation services of flooring and window coverings to its customers. In addition, the company operates design centers in eight states to ...and more »
- Action 9 investigates Lumber Liquidators - WFTV Orlando June 29, 2015Triple Pundit (registration) (blog)Action 9 investigates Lumber LiquidatorsWFTV OrlandoA Winter Garden couple claims the air in their home wasn't safe, and they blame the company that sold them laminate wood floors from China. There is a federal investigation into Lumber Liquidators imported wood, but the family claims it could not wait ...Lumber Liquidators Caught Selling […]
- Man killed in forklift accident at lumber yard in Caldwell County - WBTV June 29, 2015Man killed in forklift accident at lumber yard in Caldwell CountyWBTVThe Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is expected to investigate the Monday afternoon death of a man at Jordan-Holman Lumber Company in Granite Falls. Police Chief Ritch Bolick says it "was a tragic accident involving a forklift.".Police: Man dies in fork lift accident at […]